Bibb Lettuce Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
Created by Art Smith
January 01, 2006
This salad is about the interplay of crisp sweet pecans with salty, pungent blue cheese, tender greens and juicy pears. It's all held together with one of my favorite dressings.
Servings: Serves 6
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 small heads Bibb lettuce , washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 6 tablespoons Walnut and Late Harvest Riesling Dressing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces blue cheese , such as Maytag, crumbled
- 2 ripe Anjou pears , peeled, cored, and cut into matchstick-size pieces
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
Spread the pecans on a sheet pan and bake until heated, about 5 minutes. Stir together the corn syrup and honey in a small bowl. Pour the syrup over the nuts and toss to coat evenly. Bake until the nuts have absorbed most of the syrup and are glazed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Separate the pecans that are sticking together and cool completely.
Toss the lettuce with the dressing in a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle equal amounts of the cheese, pears, and nuts over the top of each salad. Serve immediately.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 14, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.