- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots , finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (3-inch) pieces ginger , peeled and sliced
- 4 ' ' beets (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 white or green cardamom pods
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , or to taste
Add honey, cardamom, thyme, sugar and butter; stir 1 minute. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer; cook until beets are tender and most of stock has evaporated, 45 to 50 minutes.
Remove from heat. Discard thyme, ginger and cardamom; stir in salt. Let cool before serving.