Servings: Makes 8 to 10 appetizers or 2 to 3 entrees
- 1 pound lean beef tenderloin , thinly sliced
- 2 bunches scallions , bottoms trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Wood or metal skewers
- 2 cups water or sake
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
Season beef with salt and pepper. Wrap a slice of beef around each 2-inch scallion section and push onto a skewer.
In a large pot with a steaming basket insert, bring water (or sake) to a boil. Place skewers in steaming basket and cover. Cook until meat is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ginger, and chili sauce. Taste and adjust flavor to your preference.
Remove skewers from pot and place on a tray with sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve.