Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound applewood-smoked bacon , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet onions , chopped
- 2 shallots , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds beef chuck , cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup chopped canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 fresh bay leaves , torn or 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 branches thyme , lightly crushed
- 1/3 cup horseradish or Dijon mustard
- 2 large carrots , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large parsnips , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
In a large Dutch oven, heat one tablespoon olive oil over a medium-low flame. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onions and shallots and cook until they begin to turn golden (but not brown), about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a large bowl.
In another large bowl, combine flour, one teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and toss with seasoned flour. In the Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook one-third of beef until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add beef to the bowl of onions. Repeat with remaining beef in two more batches, adding another tablespoon olive oil as necessary.
Add cognac to pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and mustard until well combined. Return meat-and-onion mixture and bacon to pot. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until meat is soft, about 2 hours. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over a medium-high flame. Add mushrooms and cook until browned.
Stir mushrooms and wine into stew; simmer 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves and thyme branches. Serve with a simple green salad.
680 calories, 41.2 grams fat, 14.0 grams saturated fat, 104 mg of cholesterol, 1256 mg sodium, 26.8 grams carbohydrate, 5.6 grams fiber, 39.5 grams protein