Servings: Makes approximately 4 dozen skewers
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass , chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (red chili paste), available at Asian markets
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin , trimmed and cut into 3" x 1/2" strips
- Bamboo skewers (soaked in water at least 20 minutes before skewering)
- Spicy Peanut Sauce
Put onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, sugar, sambal oelek, coriander, soy sauce, sesame oil and lemon juice in a blender. Pulse until smooth; set aside.
Skewer beef strips with bamboo skewers and place in a nonreactive container. Pour marinade over beef and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
To cook, heat a grill or grill pan (spritz the latter with cooking spray). Lay skewered beef on the hot grill. Cook for 1 minute on each side, basting with marinade.
Serve immediately, with Spicy Peanut Sauce on the side.