A main-course salad includes seared beef fillet and lentils flavored with ginger and lemongrass. A lime-chile relish, Asian greens and paper-thin radish and onion slices add spicy heat.
Servings: Serves 8–10
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds beef fillet
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 small red onions , finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small hot chile , halved with seeds discarded
- 5 tablespoons finely diced fresh ginger
- Bottom 3" stalk of lemongrass , smashed with the flat side of a chef's knife
- 1 kaffir lime leaf , optional
- 2 cups French green lentils
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery , thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber , peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 radishes , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves , large leaves torn
- 1 large shallot , finely diced
- Zest of 4 limes and 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon minced hot chile
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups packed baby Asian salad greens
To cook beef: Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°. Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add beef and sear, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6 minutes. Place skillet with beef in oven and roast until medium-rare (about 15 minutes), which registers 135° on an instant-read thermometer. Set aside.
To make lentils: Warm the sesame oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, chile, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf (if using). Sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in lentils and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain liquid and discard chile, lemongrass, lime leaf. In a large bowl, combine lentils and soy sauce; season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
To make relish: Combine vinegar, granulated sugar, coriander, mustard seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until reduced to a thin syrup, 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool. In a bowl, combine onion, celery, cucumber, radishes, mint, basil with enough syrup (about 3 tablespoons) to coat vegetables.
To make dressing: Combine shallot, lime zest, lime juice in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, minced chile, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce and 2 tablespoons water.
To serve: Spoon lentils onto a platter. In a large bowl, toss greens with 3 tablespoons of the dressing; arrange over the lentils. Slice beef; arrange over the greens. Spoon relish over the beef. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 13, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.