Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 green onions
- 1 navel orange
- 1 piece (1 1/2-inch) peeled ginger , thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bunch basil (preferably Thai)
- 16 large shrimp , peeled and de-veined
- 8 shiitake mushrooms , stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons instant dashi powder (used to make Japanese soup stocks), or 2 fish or vegetable bouillon cubes
In a large saucepot, cook soba noodles in lightly salted boiling water until al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain noodles and place in a bowl of ice water until cold; drain again and set aside. Thinly slice 2 tablespoons green onion tops; set aside. Cut remaining green onions in half lengthwise. Peel orange with a vegetable peeler. With a knife, remove any white pith from peel.
In a small bowl, combine orange peel, ginger, and salt. Arrange green onions and half of orange peel mixture on bottom of steamer basket; leave sides of steamer uncovered. Thinly slice 1/4 cup basil. Set aside sliced basil and 4 small leaves for garnish. Arrange half the remaining basil over orange peel mixture. Lay shrimp in a single layer over basil. Top with remaining orange peel mixture and basil. Arrange mushroom slices around shrimp. Top mushrooms with red pepper slices.
In the steamer, bring water and dashi to a boil, stirring until dashi dissolves; insert steamer basket. Cover until shrimp are just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove steamer basket and replace cover to keep warm.
Add soba noodles to dashi broth; cook 1 minute or until hot. Divide noodles and broth among 4 warm soup bowls. Spoon steamed mushrooms and red peppers into bowls. Arrange 4 shrimp in the center of each bowl. Sprinkle with reserved sliced basil and green onions. Garnish with basil leaves.