Makes 1 cup
- 1½ Tbsp. (about 5 cloves) chopped garlic
- 3 cups basil, loosely packed
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
In a food processor, combine garlic, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Pulse until garlic and basil just come together but are not paste-like. With the motor running, slowly pour in olive oil, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Check the texture and flavor, adding up to ¼ cup more olive oil as necessary.
Add pine nuts and pulse to combine (the nuts should still be slightly chunky).
Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in Parmesan. Season with salt to taste.