Servings: Serves 6
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 scallions , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil , chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 6 halves boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt , plus additional for kale
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 12 large kale leaves , preferably a combination of green and purple
- 6 heirloom tomatoes , sliced
In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, scallions, chopped basil, and pepper. Reserve 3 tablespoons marinade. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken breasts, seal bag, and turn to coat chicken. Place bag in a bowl; refrigerate 1 hour, turning once.
Preheat and oil charcoal or gas grill. Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill rack. Cook chicken over medium heat, brushing with any remaining marinade in the bag and sprinkling with 1/2 teaspoon salt, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a platter and cover with foil.
Spray both sides of kale leaves with cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Grill kale until browned in spots and slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Arrange kale on platter with chicken.
Spread tomatoes over kale. Stir reserved marinade and spoon over tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garnish with basil.