Servings: Makes 4 cups
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion , finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot , finely shredded
- 2 28-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes
- Kosher salt to taste
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook for 5 minutes more, or until the carrot is quite soft.
With your hands, crush the tomatoes and add them with their juices. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers