Basic Chicken Rub
Makes 2 cups
- 2/3 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
You can store this rub in an airtight container indefinitely.
Basic Vinegar Sauce
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sugar
DirectionsIn a stockpot over medium heat, combine the vinegar, ketchup, and hot sauce.
Stir together. Pour in all the remaining ingredients and stir to dissolve. Do not boil. When spices are thoroughly dissolved, take the pot off the heat, and funnel the sauce into a bottle. The sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 year.
Basic Hickory Sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsCombine all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until thoroughly combined.
Pour into a medium pot, and stir continuously over medium heat until heated through. Do not allow it to boil. Remove and use while hot. If reserving for later use, allow the mixture to cool; then pour it into a large bottle or container and store, refrigerated, for up to 1 year.