A mysterious alchemy! Seemingly ordinary ingredients can combine to bring unexpectedly stellar results.
Servings: Makes 10 servings
- 3 pounds Brussels sprouts , tough outer leaves removed, stem ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup toasted fresh breadcrumbs (from 1 slice white bread)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices smoked bacon , cut into 1-inch pieces
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut a shallow X in the stem end of each Brussels sprout to ensure even cooking. Add Brussels sprouts to boiling water; parboil 7 minutes, or until slightly tender; drain. Refresh under cold water; drain again.
In a small bowl, mix vinegar and brown sugar; set aside. In another small bowl, mix breadcrumbs, chives, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until fat is rendered and bacon bits are crisp; remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat from skillet.
Add sprouts to bacon fat, raise heat to medium-high, and cook 3 minutes, tossing sprouts several times. Add vinegar mixture and raise heat to high; cook 4 minutes longer, tossing sprouts until vinegar mixture reduces to a glaze and sprouts are tender. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer sprouts to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bacon bits.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 10, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.