Get more deliciously inspired recipes whipped up from pantry staples
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus more for greasing
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. lime zest (from 3 large limes)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (from a 3" piece)
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup golden raisins or other dried fruit
- 1 cup sliced almonds or other nuts
- 1 cup uncooked rice, preferably basmati
- 1 cup sliced bananas, kiwis, or mangos, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated coconut, toasted, for garnish
DirectionsActive time: 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Note: Substitute any dried fruit or nuts that you'd like to use up; walnuts, pecans, and cashews are all delicious. Chop larger dried fruits like apricots, dates, or figs before adding to the mix. Garnish with any fresh fruit you'd like.
Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together butter, milk, sugar, cream, lime zest, ginger, salt, coconut milk, and egg. Stir in raisins, almonds, rice, and fresh fruit, then transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover snugly with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until rice is just tender and pudding is thick and bubbly, about 30 minutes more. Set aside to rest 30 minutes, or until firm.
Slice into squares or scoop into bowls, garnish with coconut and fresh fruit, and serve.