- 1 baguette , sliced 1/2 inch thick, about 30 to 36 slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 Roma tomatoes , sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese , sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet, brush with some of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with salt. Return the baking sheet to the oven until the cheese and tomato are just warm, about 5 minutes.
Arrange the toasts on a serving platter. Top each toast with a basil leaf. Using the brush, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.