Servings: Makes 7 cups (enough for a 12-pound bird)
- 1 pound slab or sliced bacon
- 4 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine (chicken or vegetable stock, or water, may be substituted)
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 4 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
If using slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes; if using sliced bacon, coarsely chop. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring or turning until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain (but leave fat in pan), dry, and crumble.
Remove all but 3 tablespoons fat from pan and, still over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, bread crumbs, pine nuts, thyme, bay leaves, and bacon and remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pack into turkey if desired before roasting or bake in an ovenproof glass or enameled baking dish for about 45 minutes at 350° to 400°.