Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 2 whole lemons
- 1 1/4 pounds baby artichokes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced into rings
- 1 small carrot , peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces pancetta or bacon , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine , such as Chardonnay
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 large cloves garlic , coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Fill a large bowl with cold water. Halve and juice lemons; add both juice and squeezed lemon halves to water. Cut 1/2 inch off artichoke tops; trim bases and tough outer leaves. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise and remove any fuzzy choke. Add artichokes to lemon water; set aside.
In a large, high-sided pot over medium-high flame, heat olive oil. Add onion and carrot; sauté until just tender, about 3 minutes. Toss in pancetta; continue cooking 4 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms; sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
Drain artichokes, reserving 1 cup water. Place artichokes in pot; stir to coat. Add wine, bay leaf, and garlic; bring to a boil. Let the liquid reduce by half, about 7 minutes. Add reserved lemon water, salt, and pepper; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until artichokes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, and season with additional salt if needed. Stir in basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve on a shallow platter.