Avocado Soup with Cilantro, Coriander, Cumin and Lime
You can serve this soup chilled, but the flavors are much more pronounced and vibrant if you keep it hot.
- 1 large leek
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped celery stalks
- 1 large onion , roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 large ripe Hass avocado , pitted, peeled and mashed
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 small bunch of scallions , finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of cilantro , finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the leek, celery and onion, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add the bay leaves, stock, coriander, cumin, avocado and lime juice and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with the chopped scallions and cilantro to taste.
More from Dave Lieberman: