Servings: Serves 4
- 1 quart chicken broth , preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup orzo or long grain rice
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill or parsley
In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add orzo; cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until orzo is al dente. (If using rice, add another cup of chicken broth. Simmer according to package directions, or until grains are tender.) Do not drain; set aside.
In a bowl, beat eggs until thick. Whisk in lemon juice and zest. Gradually add 1/2 cup hot broth from saucepan, whisking constantly. Add 2 more 1/2 cups of broth, whisking after each addition.
Pour mixture back into saucepan and reheat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until egg cooks and soup slightly thickens. Do not boil, or eggs will curdle. Add salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle with dill or parsley. Serve hot or cold.