Asparagus and Manchego cheese have become such a welcome part of my cooking repertoire that they inspire me to create new recipes using them. I love asparagus. My mother began feeding me pieces of Del Monte asparagus when I was just a babe. Many years later when I visited Spain, I discovered Manchego cheese. They form a perfect marriage of flavor.
Servings: Serves 6
- 1/2 loaf French bread , cut in small cubes
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 pint (2 cups) halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus , cut in 1/2-inch pieces on the bias (3 1/2 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Place the French bread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
Place the extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and asparagus. Cook another 2 minutes, and then pour over the bread cubes in the casserole dish.
Whip the eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper. Pour on top of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle the Manchego cheese evenly over the top.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
Back to the Family © 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 16, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.