Servings: Serves 2
- 1 cup whole basil leaves
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 sheet fresh pasta or 4 lasagna noodles , cooked, rinsed, and coated with olive oil
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor and blend. (If too thick, add water or more olive oil.) Season with salt and set aside.
Sauté asparagus in olive oil over high heat for 4 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a small loaf pan (about 4" x 8") with butter. Combine mascarpone and pesto. Cut pasta to fit dish and place enough noodles in pan to cover bottom; top with 1/3 cup fontina cheese, 1/3 of the asparagus, and 1/3 of the pesto mixture; then sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat layering two more times with remaining ingredients. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Discard foil and continue baking 10 additional minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.