- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups very hot water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots , minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups farro (an Italian grain similar to rice)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus , trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a medium saucepan, bring stock to a bare simmer; add mushroom liquid. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; cook 4–6 minutes or until shallots have softened. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high; add farro and cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
Stir in rosemary. Add stock a ladle or two at a time, stirring after each addition until most liquid is absorbed. Repeat until farro softens but is still chewy, 25–30 minutes, adding asparagus and peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Stir in butter, cheese and parsley. Cool.