- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped asparagus stems (about 2 bunches)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach , stems removed, washed, and drained
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Carefully ladle the asparagus mixture into a blender and process until smooth.
Strain the blended mixture through a colander lined with cheesecloth or through a find mesh sieve.
Pour the strained mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a low boil. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Use the sauce immediately, or cool quickly by setting in a bowl of ice and water. Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator or freeze for about one month.