Servings: Serves 4
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 2 cups arugula , loosely packed
- 3 scallions , roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1/2 clove)
- 1 cup parsley leaves , loosely packed
- 1 small jalapeno , seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons), plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (about 4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
Place barley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until grains are tender but chewy, about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine arugula, scallions, garlic, parsley and jalapeño. Process until finely chopped, scraping mixture down sides of bowl as needed. Add olive oil, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and pulse until blended.
In a bowl, combine arugula mixture with barley and feta. Season with additional salt or lemon juice, if desired.