Exotic flavors enhance this long-grain rice. Fluff the rice with a fork, and top with almonds and cilantro.
Servings: Serves 6
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 red bell pepper , finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper , finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , crushed through a press
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati rice , rinsed well
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds , toasted
- 6 whole sprigs of cilantro , for garnish
In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Add the red and yellow peppers, onion, garlic, and turmeric. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the rice, broth, raisins, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
Remove the skillet from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and discard the cinnamon. Season the rice with salt, then transfer it to a platter. Top with the almonds and cilantro and serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 7, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.