- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 red bell pepper , finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper , finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , crushed through a press
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati rice , rinsed well
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds , toasted
- 6 whole sprigs of cilantro , for garnish
Stir in the rice, broth, raisins, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
Remove the skillet from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and discard the cinnamon. Season the rice with salt, then transfer it to a platter. Top with the almonds and cilantro and serve.