Servings: Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 Golden Delicious apples , peeled, sliced and cored
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons (1/2 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream , for serving
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350° degrees. Lightly butter a 8 X 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside. Mix the apples, cranberry sauce, cinnamon, 1/3 cup of sugar in a medium bowl and spread in the dish.
Beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the flour, then the milk and vanilla to make a thick batter. Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter over the apples.
Place the baking dish on a baking sheet or aluminum foil to catch any juices. Bake until the apple juices are bubbling and the topping springs back when pressed in the center, about 40 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.