Servings: Makes about 200 (large batch: 600)
- 6 Tbsp. (about 4 ounces) cream cheese , at room temperature (large batch: 18 Tbsp., about 12 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp. butter , at room temperature (large batch: 3 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract (large batch: 3 tsp.)
- Scant 1/4 tsp. fine salt (large batch: scant 3/4 tsp.)
- 4 or 5 drops green food coloring (optional; large batch: 12 to 15 drops)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar , plus extra for kneading (large batch: 12 cups)
- 1 cup sugar (large batch: 3 cups)
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 4 hours, 45 minutes
In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, butter, peppermint extract, salt, and food coloring. Add confectioners' sugar and mix with your fingers until combined. Knead in the bowl as you would bread dough, just until smooth and evenly colored.
To make each mint, pinch off about 1/2 tsp. of the mixture and roll into a ball. (Cover the unshaped candy with a damp paper towel as you work to keep it from drying out.) Roll in sugar and transfer to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
Before serving or packaging, refrigerate mints to allow them to dry out a bit. It???s best to store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, or the freezer for up to 3 months, but they will keep several hours at room temperature.