|Get the best of Oprah.com in your inbox. Sign up for our newsletters!|
6 Questions We Have About the New Food Pyramid
1. How big should my plate be?
2. What are they trying to tell us without actually saying?
The word "meat" doesn't appear anywhere on the diagram. Is using "protein" instead code for "eat less meat" (not that there's anything wrong with that, as we learned from Michael Pollan)?
3. Isn't there protein in vegetables, grains and dairy? So why is there a separate section for protein on the plate?
4. Are we really supposed to start eating fruit with dinner?
5. What was wrong with the pyramid? Nutrition professionals said it was confusing, but I think most people got the gist: eat more fruit, vegetables and grains, and fewer sweets.
6. Is anyone else with me on wanting to get a set of these divided plates (you know, the ones with little segmented areas for each component of your meal)?