|Get the best of Oprah.com in your inbox. Sign up for our newsletters!|
A 6-Step Plan for a Fantastic, Food-Centric Summer
1. Go to the greenmarket at least once a week for fruit (strawberries now, cherries in July, peaches in August) and vegetables (especially arugula and corn). Though, I refuse to fall for those pricey zucchini flowers...at least not too often.
2. Always have home-brewed iced tea in the fridge.
3. Eat more no-cook dinners, whether it's a chilled soup, cold roasted chicken, a hacked meal or a big salad.
4. Don't wait for special occasions to try a new ice cream recipe. My machine gets a lot of action in the summertime, but mostly to make my standbys, such as vanilla, butterscotch pecan and toasted almond gelato. This year, I'm going to attempt some new combinations. Even if it's Tuesday. Even if no one's coming over.
5. Cut down on my caffeine intake by mixing regular iced coffee with decaf.
6. Picnics on the weekends! Yes, you can get fancy, though I usually stick to a loaf of bread, a piece of cheese and a few things from a local specialty food shop's salad bar.
What are your summer resolutions? Tell us in Comments.
7 Women Who Turned Their Passion for Food Into a Career
What's In Season?
8 Mouthwatering Meals That Can Last All Week