|Get the best of Oprah.com in your inbox. Sign up for our newsletters!|
Juice Glasses for Wine and Other Liberating Uses for Kitchen Supplies
In the spirit of using everyday objects in untraditional ways, here are 5 more mom-would-never-do-this ways to repurpose kitchen and dining pieces. What are yours? Tell us in the comments.
1. Kitchen towels as napkins. If you buy them at a restaurant supply store, they're very cheap (such as these 100% heavyweight cotton ones, $12 for a dozen).
2. Mason jars for yogurt, fruit and granola parfaits. Adapt the craze for all sorts of desserts and sweets in jars to your breakfast.
3. Trifle bowls as containers for serving Mexican layered dip or cobb salad. Let each ingredient lay neatly on top of the one below before you mix them up and let guests dig in.
4. Wine decanters for lemonade or iced tea. Float lemon or lime slices, or even raspberry ice cubes if you're entertaining.
5. Cake stands (especially vintage ones) as displays for votive and pillar candles. This is the perfect compromise between formal candlestick holders and low-to-the-table (and perilously close to the bread basket) votives.
The joy of collecting Champagne flutes, cookie jars and other kitchen items
Going to a potluck? Bring one of these dishes
Our favorite cocktail recipes
Please note that Harpo Productions, Inc., OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Communications LLC and their affiliated companies and entities have no affiliation with and do not endorse those entities, projects, or websites referenced above, which are provided solely as a courtesy. You should conduct your own independent investigation before using the services of any such entities, projects, or websites. Information is provided for your reference only.